Development Considerations

Before you plan any building work or renovations, it's a good idea to check with Council to determine which planning controls apply to your property. If your proposed building work or renovation is neither exempt nor complying development you will need to submit a development application through Council. 

If you are an owner of a property you may require approval for the following:
  • Building or extending a house, shed, garage, veranda, carport, granny flat or retaining wall
  • Demolition
  • Fences
  • Signage
  • Swimming pools
  • Significant tree pruning or removal
  • Change of use of land
  • Fire safety
  • On-site sewage management
  • Liquid trade waste
Exempt Development
Many types of home renovations and minor building projects don't need approval from a Council or an accredited certifier; this is called exempt development. As long as the building project meets specific standards and land requirements no planning or building approval is needed. The standards you must comply with for most complying development works are outlined in the State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008.