Cooma Cemetery is located on Mittagang Road near the Monaro High School and is the resting place of many of the Monaro’s Pioneer families.
Pioneering families located at the Cooma Cemetery:
Cosgrove – John Cosgrove born in 1810 and arrived in the Maneroo in the early 1830’s is regarded as one of the first settlers.
Hain – James Hain was born in 1806 arrived in the area in approx. 1852 with his family and built “The Raglan” in 1855 and went on to run general store and Royal Hotel.
Mawson – built St Pauls Church, hospital, church at Boloco, St Johns Adaminaby, extensions to the post office.
In 1931 the Southern Cloud crashed in the Toolong Range in the Southern Alps. Wreckage of this plane was not located until 26/10/1958. A memorial to the victims of the crash is located at the cemetery.
In 1949 Cooma became the head-quarters of the Snowy Mountains Scheme. During the construction of the scheme a number of workers died. Many of these workers were immigrants and did not have immediate family available to construct headstones. Therefore there were a number of graves in the district and Cooma Cemetery which were never marked. There are a number of headstones at the Cooma Cemetery which were purchased by work-mates of the deceased.