Microchipping and Registration

1. Overview

Under the Companion Animals Act 1998, All owners of companion animals must take two (2) steps to provide lifetime Protection for your pet.

Remember it is your responsibility to keep information on the register up to date and to notify council of any changes in address or ownership and to notify council of any other significant changes


2. Step One (1) Microchip Your Pet 

The best place to get your pet microchipped is the vet, however animal welfare organisations such as the RSPCA or other authorised people such as your local pet shop or council can microchip too.


3. Step Two (2) Register Your Pet

Lifetime registration forms can be collected from any council office and need to be filled out and paid for as soon as possible .

When you register your pet, You will need:

  • A certificate of microchipping or a letter from your vet stating your animal is microchipped
  • Proof of desexing from your vet or a statutory declaration
  • Any documents which may entitle you to discounts for example a pension card
  • A copy of NSW Companion Animals Register Certificate of Identification


These 'two steps' will help return your pet to you if it is lost, hurt or stolen. Once microchipped and registered, your pet is protected for life.


4. Once only registration Fee

Registration fees are remitted by councils to the State Government. Councils are reimbursed the majority depending on the number of animals kept in their area. Councils can then use this money for their animal management activities including providing rangers, pounds facilities, designated dog refuse bins, educational and other activities


5. Registration Type and Current Fee

Current registration fees for animals can be viewed here.


6. What happens if I don’t identify or register my dog or cat?

You can be fined if you don’t microchip or register your dog or cat. Larger penalties apply if the dog has been declared dangerous or is a restricted breed.


7. Why do I have to register my dog as well as having it microchipped?

Although microchipping provides an excellent form of identification it is only the first step in registering your dog. Just as when dogs were only required to wear dog tags, registration means a lot more than just identification.

By registering your dog you can help to make sure that both your pet and the community have the benefit of information, assistance and regulation to ensure that the rights and needs of yourself and your animal are protected.


8. I have just moved to NSW – how long do I have to lifetime register my pet?

You have 3 months to register your pet on the NSW companion animals register. Even if your pet is registered in another state you MUST register it in NSW


9. My Dog is registered with Dogs NSW as a pedigree do I still need to register with council?

Yes you do, a pedigree registration is not the same as lifetime registration.


10. Does my farm/working dog have to be registered?

A working dog is a dog used primarily for the purpose of droving, tending, working or protecting stock, and includes a dog being trained as a working dog.

Hunting dogs and guard dogs do not have any special status as working dogs under the Companion Animals Act. Just because an animal is kept for purposes other than that of a pet, does not necessarily mean it is a ‘working dog’.

Under the Companion Animals Act, dogs that meet the definition of a ‘working dog’ are exempt from microchipping and registering when:-

the working dog resides on land defined and rated as farmland under the Local Government Act 1993, or

The working dog is kept in the Western Division of NSW, being not within a local government area.

All other working dogs MUST be microchipped and registered. However, a nil dollar (free) registration fee applies.

It should be noted that all working dogs are valuable animals and owners are encouraged to have their dogs microchipped and registered so in the event of being lost, they can be re-united with their owners.

Farm pets are NOT considered to be working dogs.