Development and Certification Team

1. Overview

Council's Development and Certification team is responsible for the assessment of a range of applications for building, development, subdivision and land use proposals.

2. Council assesses Development Applications (DAs) for:

  • The use of land or building
  • The subdivision of land
  • The erection or demolition of a building
  • The carrying out of work
  • Any other matter that: a) is not an Exempt Development or, b) is listed in a State Environmental Planning Policy (cf. "Development" definition in clause 78A, Environmental Planning & Assessment Act 1979)

3. Development Assessment (DA) categories

  1. Local Development - most DAs fall in this category in the Snowy Monaro region
  2. Integrated Development - any development that requires additional approval from another Government Authority pursuant to its legislation. In such cases, Council will refer the application (with additional fees) to the relevant Authority so that there is an integrated assessment of the proposal. If the development is approved, the terms of any additional approvals or licences will be included in the development consent.
  3. State Significant Development - development of state or regional significance where the Minister for Urban Affairs and Planning will be the consent authority.
  4. Advertised Development - where local or integrated development is exhibited in a more comprehensive manner, including notices in the newspaper.
  5. Designated Development - local or state significant development which requires the preparation of an Environmental Impact Statement.

The platform at a train station.jpeg

4. Lodging a Development Application

Applications may be lodged via our Planning Portal.

5. Owners Consent

The EP & A Act requires that all owners consent to the lodging of an application. It is the applicant’s responsibility to clearly demonstrate that all owners have consented to the lodging of the application. Owners who are companies can indicate consent by signing under seal or as otherwise authorised under Corporations Law. Alternatively, owners who are companies can indicate consent by meting the following criteria:

  • ABN or ACN number must be provided and
  • Name, position and signature of: one company director and company secretary; or two company directors; or if a sole director company, only one signature is required.

Individual owners must sign and print their names. Where there is more than one owner, all owners must sign. Consent and seal of the owners corporation is required if the proposed work involves or affects common property. The Strata Management Agent or two (2) members of the owners Corporation must sign.

Where proposed work effects a party wall, consent of both owners is required in writing. Managing agents must have a written authority from the owner, clearly indicating the authority is current, consenting to the lodging of, or empowering the applicant to lodge the application. A person acting under a registered Power of Attorney must quote the book and page number, and provide a fully copy of the Power of Attorney.

6. Political Donation and Gifts Disclosure

Under Section 147 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979, any reportable political donation to a Councillor and/or Council employee within a two (2) year period before the date of this application must be publicly disclosed.

7. Critical Habitat

If the land is, or is part of critical habitat or development that is likely to significantly affect threatened species, populations or ecological communities or that habitat as identified under the Threatened Species Conservation Act 1995, a species impact statement (SIS) is required.

8. Statement of Environmental Effects

For all development applications (excepting Designated Development), the application must be accompanied by a statement of environmental effects.

9. Plans accompanying Development Applications

If a site plan is required the plan must indicate:

  1. Location, boundary dimensions, site area and north point of the land
  2. Existing vegetation and tees on the land
  3. Location and use of existing buildings on the land
  4. Existing levels of the land in relation to buildings and roads
  5. Location and use of building on sites adjoining the land

10. Plans or drawings describing proposed development must indicate (where relevant):

  1. Location of proposed new buildings or works (including extensions or additions to existing buildings or works) in relation to the lands boundaries and adjoining development. Clause 56 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Regulation 2000 requires an A4 plan of the building that indicates its height and external configuration as erected. If the development involves building work to alter, expand or rebuild an existing building, a scaled plan of the existing building is required
  2. Floor plans of proposed buildings showing layout, partitioning, room sizes and intended uses of each part of the building
  3. Elevations and sections showing the proposed external finishes and heights
  4. Proposed finished levels of the land in relation to building and roads
  5. Building perspectives where necessary to illustrate the proposed building
  6. Proposed parking arrangements, entry and exit points for vehicles, and provisions for movement of vehicles within the site (including dimensions where appropriate)
  7. Proposed landscaping and treatment of the land (indicating plant types, their height and maturity)
  8. Proposed methods of draining the land

An artistic photo of the side of a house.jpeg

11. Assessment Processes & Legislation

Assessing a DA is undertaken in accordance with Section 79C of the Environmental Planning & Assessment Act 1979.

12. Fees

Most fees payable for development applications are regulated by the State Government and vary depending on the type and cost of the development. In the case of construction of building work, the development application fee is based on the estimated cost of the development. Please contact Council on 1300 345 345 for an estimate of fees and charges.

13. Public Notification

In accordance with the current Development Control Plans, your development application may require notification and/or advertising in the paper to enable interested persons to comment on the proposal. The notification period inviting comment from surrounding residents and the public can vary depending on the type of development. If notification and or advertising is required a separate fee will be payable.

14. Development Contributions

Applications for development, that increase the demand for community services, are required to pay a developer contribution. Click here for further information.

15. Incomplete applications and requests for additional information

Applications that have insufficient/deficient documentation and/or detail may be returned to the applicant by Council through the NSW Planning Portal. Council can request additional information from applicants for the application to be assessed and this can delay the assessment. Please ensure all requirements are met when submitting an application on the NSW Planning Portal.



Contact us


Main Office - Cooma
81 Commissioner Street, Cooma
Phone:  1300 345 345

Branch - Bombala
71 Caveat Street, Bombala
Phone: 1300 345 345

Branch - Jindabyne
Shop 2 Razorback office, Gippsland Street, Jindabyne
1300 345 345