Sewer Connections

1. Overview

Before connecting to Council's water or sewer mains property owners must first gain approval for the connection from Council's Wastewater Department.

Sewer Connection Application

2. What is a sewer connection?

A sewer connection is any pipe which provides service to a property for the disposal of sewerage.

3. What is a Sewer Connection Application?

A sewer connection application is a formal request made when a person wishing to connect their property to council's sewer services or make changes to their connection, pursuant to section 68 of the Local Government Act 1993.

Council requires these applications to ensure that properties have the most appropriate type of connection and that the work is done to required specifications and standards.

4. Can I build over Sewer Mains and Manholes?

Any permanent structure over sewers and manholes is discouraged and generally not allowed.

Authority to build over these structures comes with significant expense to the applicant in order to protect the integrity of the operation and maintenance of the sewerage network.

Mains, manholes and connection points are an important component of the sewer system. These are often located within properties at varying depths - from 0.6m to approximately 3m deep.

5. Manholes

Manholes are important access points for the maintenance of sewer mains and should be accessible at all times. A sewer manhole lid is either concrete or ductile Iron, approximately 600 - 800mm diameter.

There should be no leakage from manhole lids. If leakage is noticed, please contact Council on 1300 345 345 and an investigation will be undertaken to rectify the problem.

If you have a manhole on your property, you must not obstruct access to it:

  • Do not build anything over the manhole;
  • Do not cover the manhole with a path or driveway,
  • or with garden soil; and
  • Do not park trailers or caravans over manholes

If you wish to change the ground level around a manhole, contact Council on 1300 345 345 and we can arrange to raise or lower the manhole free of charge.

Damaged/broken manhole lids must be reported to Council on 1300 345 345.

No-one should enter a manhole as it is classified s a confined space. Anyone entering a manhole is required to be certified, trained and authorised in confined space entry.

6. Do I need to make an application?

You need to make a Sewer Connection Application if you propose to add or change a sewer connection to your property.

7. Urban Development

Generally for most development in urban areas (e.g. dwelling house, multiple dwellings, commercial & industrial premises) you need approval for:

  • Carrying out sewage drainage works (separate application to Environmental Services)
  • Connection to council's sewer services if available to your property.
  • Connection to Councils mains