Property Addressing

Addressing in NSW.jpeg

Rural Addressing

Rural addressing is the numbering of all properties (with buildings) outside the limits of an urban property numbering system. The address of a rural property is based on the distance from the datum (starting point) to the access point along the road.

Rural address numbers are assigned according to how far down the road a property is from the Council designated starting point of that road, with odd numbers on the left side and even numbers on the right hand side of the road.

For example:

If your rural address number is 1372 Cooma Road, Cooma, it would indicate your property is 13.72km down Cooma Road from the Cooma Road starting point, and you would come across it on the right hand side of the road.
If your rural address number was 997 Cooma Road, Cooma it would indicate your property is located 9.9km down Cooma Road and on the left hand side.


All new development, as a part of the Development Application process, will be assigned rural addressing fees and allocated a rural number plate. To apply for a rural address not associated with a development application, please contact Council to confirm your need for a Rural Address Application Form and you will be provided with this.

Please see Councils Fees and Charges for current pricing.

The fees cover the cost of identifying new property accesses, calculation and creation of new addresses, along with supply of the rural number plate.

Council follows the Geographical Names Board of New South Wales Policy and User Manuals in allocating rural addresses. For more information on the Geographical Names Board of NSW, please visit

Council routinely forwards updated rural addressing details to the NSW Lands Department, Electoral Commission, Australia Post and Emergency Services (Ambulance, RFS).

What do I need to do?

If you are unsure what address your property has been allocated, believe it has been allocated incorrectly, or you wish to discuss changing your property address, please contact Council.

Urban Street Numbering

Houses along urban streets are numbered sequentially with odd numbers along the left side of the street and even numbers along the right side.

New subdivisions are numbered when they are approved. If there are no gaps in the existing numbering system along a road, alpha suffixes (e.g. 7A, 7B, 7C, etc) may be used. These suffixes may be applied in a variety of different methods, dependent on whether there is an existing dwelling within the subdivision.